Treating Degenerative Disc Disease with Adjustments and Manual Therapies
Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is a medical condition, primarily affecting patients as they age. It’s caused when the normal degeneration of spinal discs, which occurs as time goes on, becomes painful or causes discomfort. For many seniors or those with bone-related deficiencies (osteoporosis, for example), it’s a condition that can profoundly change day-to-day life.
The pain caused by DDD is specific to compromised discs. Spinal discs absorb the shock of motion between the vertebrae in your spine. They are what allows your back to stay flexible. Over time, the repeated motion they absorb causes them to degrade, and certain repeated motions or traumatic injuries may hasten the degeneration.
For patients suffering from DDD, a routine, regimented chiropractic schedule is important. Strong Life Chiropractic aims to help Lithia, FL patients stay ahead of their pain, reducing interruptions to everyday life and promoting positive long-term health outlooks.
Chiropractic Care for DDD
Chiropractic care is one of the most effective ways to treat both the cause and symptoms of DDD. Once a chiropractor diagnoses you, they will pursue a combination of treatment options depending on the cause of your DDD, its location, and a host of other factors. Here are just some of the treatments a chiropractor may recommend:
- Specific manipulation: During a spinal adjustment, a chiropractor will identify areas of your spine requiring specific attention. During the adjustment, they will work to realign the vertebrae and prevent further damage from being done to the disc. Because adjustments can only move vertebrae a very small amount each session, it’s important to get into a Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) adjustment schedule.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation: Using a handheld instrument, the chiropractor can apply more pressure and force to certain vertebrae or muscles in need of special attention. Instrument-assisted manipulation allows the practitioner to apply regular, concentrated force without thrusting directly into or otherwise damaging the spine. It’s one of the most effective ways of treating DDD symptoms.
- Therapeutic massage: Massage therapy is a great way to reduce muscle tension and alleviate pain and other symptoms caused by DDD. Using therapeutic massage, practitioners can apply carefully targeted pain and tension relief where patients need it the most. Therapeutic massage is an excellent treatment for the adverse effects of DDD and other spinal conditions.
- Trigger point therapy: If you’re suffering from DDD, there are likely a number of points on your body that are particularly sensitive. These so-called trigger points are usually the source of dramatic pain. During a session of trigger point therapy, a practitioner will carefully apply direct pressure to an area of discomfort.
- Soft tissue therapy: Another method used to treat the symptoms of DDD is soft tissue therapy. Usually with the assistance of an instrument, a chiropractic practitioner will apply direct pressure to soft tissues to stimulate blood flow and ease pain and other symptoms.
Every case if different and the pain caused by DDD can manifest in different areas of the spine. An individualized approach to each patient case is paramount.
Managing DDD in an ongoing capacity
There’s no true cure for DDD – only effective management approaches. To find one that’s right for you, it’s important to work with a chiropractor in an ongoing capacity.
Strong Life Chiropractic works with Lithia, FL patients and specializes in the treatment of DDD and other conditions through the use of chiropractic care, physical therapy, and other natural treatment methodologies. We rely on Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) principles to tailor patient care and deliver individualized treatments to those seeking relief.
If you’re suffering from degenerative disc disease and looking for a way to manage the condition, contact us today to schedule a consultation adjustment.
Chiropractic BioPhysics, or CBP, is one of the most scientific, researched, and results-oriented corrective care techniques. CBP-trained chiropractors aim to realign the spine back to health, eliminating nerve interference and addressing the source of pain, fatigue, and disease. As with all chiropractic care, CBP is gentle, painless, and non-invasive.